This is a fall classic that I look forward to every year. It's smooth, buttery and I love how the potato and nutmeg bring out the pumpkin flavor. I usually use chicken broth, but it's just as good with vegetable broth if you're looking for a vegetarian option.
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp butter
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken or vegetable broth
3-4 peeled, sliced potatoes
1 can pumpkin
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Mix broth, potatoes, and pumpkin together in a large pot. Set aside.
2. Saute onion in butter until tender (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Transfer onion to pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
4. Puree with a stick blender.
5. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir well.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes, until nutmeg, salt and pepper are blended. Top with parsley, chives or sour cream.
This post was feeatured!